Oscar Winning Movies

Join our journey as we watch all the Oscar winning movies from 1927 to the present.

Monday, January 21, 2013

1964 - My Fair Lady: "You expect me to get in there and well myself all over?"


1964 Best Picture Winner

Premiered October 21, 1964 in New York

Budget $17 Million

Gross $70 Million

We go from the worst Best Picture winner (Tom Jones) to the best movie we've seen so far. Everything about My Fair Lady exudes quality and class. Audrey Hepburn is the best actress that we have seen so far. Her performance was amazing and timeless. Rex Harrison also did an excellent job as the professor. The music is timeless and the humor is very funny and right on the mark. The movie is 50 years old but it is still funny, compelling and moving. 

Joel
Favorite: The scene where the professor agrees to work with Eliza is the best single scene of any movie so far (barely edging out the chariot race scene in Ben Hur). The onscreen chemistry between Hepburn and Harrison is an example that should be held up for future screen actors to aspire to.
Least Favorite: The only drawback for me was the fact that Audrey Hepburn was dubbed during the songs. I don't believe that a producer would make that decision for a film today that was expected to compete for an Oscar. 

Callie
Favorite: The witty dialogue. I was entertained throughout the entire movie.
Least Favorite: The ending: I wanted more closure at the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment