Oscar Winning Movies

Join our journey as we watch all the Oscar winning movies from 1927 to the present.

Monday, May 14, 2012

"And the Academy Award for Best Picture goes to..."

Over the last several months, we've taken a long hard look at our family budget and we decided to...gulp...cut TV. That's right, no satellite, no cable.  We have an old analog TV so we don't even have any network TV channels. For the past several weeks our television consumption has consisted of the "Wiggles", "Dora the Explorer" and "Veggie Tales" DVDs. My wife, Callie, and I were going crazy and we love movies so we came up with a plan: We are going to watch every Oscar winning movie. All of them. Going back to 1927.

I must admit that this makes me a little nervous. When I think of old movies, I think Star Wars but when I look at the list of winners I see that there are A LOT of winners before the 80s. Some famous (The Sting, Gone With the Wind and The Godfather) and some I've never heard of. Callie, on the other hand, loves old movies and is looking forward to the old iconic films of the past.

We will watch each Oscar winner in order and then blog our critique of it. Here's our rating system:

"Don't Waste Your Time" - yep, that's what we mean. I'm hoping that none of these movies gets this rating.
 "You Should Watch This Movie At Some Point In Your Life" - If you have a movie bucket list, this film should be on it.
"Honey, We're Putting The Kids Down Early So We Can Watch This Movie" - You've got to see this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment