Oscar Winning Movies

Join our journey as we watch all the Oscar winning movies from 1927 to the present.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

1974 - Godfather Part II: "I don't have to feel that I have to wipe everyone out...just my enemies"


1974 Best Picture

Premiered December 12, 1974

Budget $13 Million

Gross $57.3 Million

The saga continues with an experience that is both a sequel and a prequel to The Godfather. We trade Marlon Brando for Robert De Niro which is an even trade. Al Pacino and Robert Duvall are at the top of their game and Diane Keaton plays a more elevated role this time.

We get the opportunity to both see how Vito came to power and the way that power corrupts Michael. The story is a step below the first film but only a step below. 

Joel
Favorite: I enjoyed seeing Vito's ascension to power and the honor he showed (in a murderous sort of way)
Least Favorite: I hated to see Michael get deeper and deeper into the mob lifestyle. I want to root for him but found it harder to as the movie progressed.

Callie
Favorite: I liked the flashbacks. The director did a good job of tying the past with the present.
Least Favorite: The characters lost some of the honor that was in the first movie. Vito had honor but Michael did not have that honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment